Born on April 4th, 1956 in Casablanca, Morocco, José Nicolas began as photographer for a regional daily newspaper and then for aid organizations such as Médecins du Monde.
This mission enabled him to follow Bernard Kouchner in many countries, particularly in Kurdistan, Afghanistan, the China Sea, and Lebanon.
For 12 years, José Nicolas worked for the Sipa-Press agency in Paris, for which he covered many Paris conflicts (Chad, the war in Liberia in 1990, the war in Lebanon from 1984 to 1986, Afghanistan, the Romanian Revolution in 1989, Bosnia from 1991 to 1996, Somalia in 1992-93).
Since 1996, José Nicolas has been a freelance photographer. In this respect, he works for the press and for publishing.
José Nicolas has been part of many exhibitions in galleries, at festivals and institutions in France and abroad; he was also awarded of the Humanitarian Action Prize in 1987 and the Marc Flamant Prize in 1994. His work has been the subject of numerous publications.
SOLO & GROUP SHOW
- 2019: Phot Aix, the war in Lebanon 1982 - 2002
- 2019: Domaine de la Begude (Var) Women of the Worlds
- 2019: man and the sea festival of Guilvenec "Mer de chine 1987"
- 2019: Photo Doc, Paris, the humanitarian adventure
- 2018: Belleme festival, Normandy. The "French Doctors" (June 16-Sept 2, 2018)
- 2018: Espace Photo du Perche [archive], Bellême (Normandy): "Tchad 1980-1997"
- 2018: The Photographic Nights of Essaouira (Morocco)
- 2018: Phot'Aubrac Festival [archive], Nasbinals (Lozère): For Entrepreneurs du Monde
- 2018: Bellême Photographic Festival (Normandy): "French Doctors, a humanitarian adventure"
- 2018: Regards de Provence Museum, Marseille: as part of the "Sa Muse" exhibition
- 2017: Galerie Argentic, Paris: "French Doctors, a humanitarian adventure"
- 2017: Art and Wine Event ", Domaine de la Bégude (Var):" Haiti, land of survivors "
- 2017: Galerie des Alpes, Saint-Germain photo festival, Paris
- 2017: Phot'Aubrac Festival, Nasbinals (Lozère) "The reeds men"
- 2014: Paris (Banque 1818) & Marseille (Argentique le lieu): "Haiti, land of survivors"
- 2014: Phot'Aix Festival, Aix-en-Provence: "The men of the reeds"
- 2014: Argentique le lieu, Marseille: "Rwanda, 20 years later"
- 2013: Fontaine Obscure, Aix-en-Provence: "Live to live"
- 2013: L'Art en Vigne, Marseille
- 2012: The Green Ribbon Gallery, Aix-en-Provence: "Massambalo"
- 2011: Phot'Aix Festival, Aix-en-Provence: "L'Afghanistan, l'Insoumise"
- 2006: Printemps du Livre in Cassis, Hôtel des Roches Blanches
- 2000: Morocco, Carrousel du Louvre, Paris
- 1998: Forum-Fnac Gallery, Paris and New York, for the benefit of Action Against Hunger: "Souffles du monde"